Wednesday, May 28, 2014

IS THERE A LIFE AFTER DEATH???



Today while I was reading about organ donation, I could not resist remembering a lady in her late 60s came to the OPD to get an attestation from my H.O.D some 4 months back. It was for her body donation after her death.

The decision was voluntary!! Though she was having heart disease of about moderate severity, she was not going to die any time sooner. But she was firm in her thought that she doesn't want her body to get wasted in the dust because of some religious or social beliefs. She wanted her body to be useful to the medical students for their learning in the medical college.

Her son also had consented this and legally documented not to impose any objection after death. Not only that, her son who was only 32, also made legal documentation for the donation of his body to the medical curriculum. His wife also did the same.

But she was not fully aware of organ donation. I explained her about organ donation as living donor and as a cadaver. I encouraged her to donate her eyes and other potentially transferable organs so that not only her body be used for education, but also someone will be living their life with the help of her organs. She had been motivated for the whole body donation by Dr.Mallikesan, Medical superintendent of SRMC medical college. I called him to check whether it is possible to enroll for organ donation after once registered for whole body donation. He told it is possible and she can help by doing both. She was so happy that she can save lives and also help in medical education.

I also want to mention that my personal motivation on whole body donation was from actor Kamal Hassan. He has legally registered for body donation, which I read in the news while I was in high school. There are a lot of arguments that he is doing this for publicity. But what matters is the ultimate outcome. 
Only the people who argue are those who won't donate or have fear of the fact that they cannot tolerate even thinking about their body been ripped in pieces. Some people think " I would love to donate my body, but I fear my religion says if I am not burnt my soul will not attain peace, I will not reach the god or god will punish me if I do so against what had been told till now in my religion".

 Just think for yourself. 
DO YOU BELIEVE THE ALL-LOVING, TRUE SPIRITED GOD OF YOURS WILL PUNISH YOU OR HATE YOU FOR HELPING TO SAVE OTHER’S LIVES???

And in reality, YOU WILL NOT FEEL ANY PAIN, WHILE WE ARE CUTTING YOUR BODY BECAUSE YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD.
In fact, you will be only a dead body to even those who loves you and are willing to give their life to save you if possible. But the medical students will respect you. You won’t be treated like a doll, but you will remain a lifelong inspiration to them, a motivation for them to strive hard, so that what they have learned from you will be used for saving someone like you.

I wanted to post this on the day she visited, but don’t know why I did not. Nevertheless, this post is to spread awareness on whole body donation and organ donation after death.

IS THERE A LIFE AFTER DEATH???? 

YES, THERE IS LIFE AFTER DEATH. BUT ONLY IF YOU CHOOSE TO LIVE ONE.

(P.S: In my family, me and my mother are also registered for Organ donation. We will complete the paper works for body donation soon.)


for details, visit:
www.mode.org.in/


No comments:

Post a Comment